Online Workshop - Design of Deep Excavations
Theory, Methods and Software Applications
Workshop Schedule: October 26 and 27, 2021 - 10.30 AM to 6 PM EST/EDT
16 PDH Credits
In this sixteen hour workshop, you will learn the basics of the design of deep excavations. Starting from simple examples to more advanced topics the worskhop is distilling years of deep excavation design experience. The workshop will build on solid fundamentals, and help engineers minimize uncertainties in deep excavation design.
From Theory to Practice
The seminar focuses both on theory and practice. The attendees will have a chance to learn or refresh their knowledge of different deep excavation design methods and standards used wordwide, and they will have a chance to apply all the methods within advanced software applications. During the workshop, several excavation design types and models will be reviewed and simulated, extending the participant engineers perception and knowledge on how to solve composite problems and provide economic alternative solutions.
During this Workshop, you will be able to:
Explore types of deep excavations and identify common problems and challenges.
Understand the basics of soil mechanics that govern deep excavation design
Analyze the design and construction of cantilever and anchored sheet pile walls.
Explain appropriate applications for braced excavation construction methods.
Practice your deep excavation skills.
Gain more confidence by seeing step by step how various deep excavation systems are designed.
Register Now and Learn how to Avoid a One-Million Dollar Mistake!
WORKSHOP - AGENDA
October 26, 2021 - 10.30 AM to 6 PM EDT:
- Introduction to Deep excavations
- Geotechnical basics for deep excavations & soil property estimation
- Cantilever wall analysis
- Walls with one bracing level
- Limit-equilibrium analysis methods for multiple supports
- Examples for braced excavation designs
- Surcharge options
- Slope stability & basal stability options
- Basic non-linear analysis & examples
October 27, 2021 - 10.30 AM to 6 PM EDT:
- Advanced non-linear analysis topics & examples
- Advanced options for limit-equilibrium pressures
- LRFD and EC7 combinations
- Modelling ground improvement
- 3D Cofferdams and internal bracing
- Gravity walls & examples
- Building damage assesment
- Design examples & practice
Some Words from our Workshop Participant Professionals!
- The workshop was very good. I thought it was well presented and I came away with a lot of information.
John Damm | Geotechnical Engineer, Bechtel NS&E
- Overall, I thought it was a great class!. I learned a great deal of info, and I’m sure the powerpoint slides will come in handy as a reference.
Eric Lahita, President Lahita Engineering
- It was a pleasure meeting you in New York, the workshop was a great add-on for me as a user of the software. It has provided validation of used method and has shown new way of using the software.
Alexandre Leblanc,ing. Substructur Expert-conseil, Montreal, Canada
Workshop Instructor: Dimitrios C. Konstantakos, P.E.
Dimitrios C. Konstantakos, P.E., is the founder and CEO of Deep Excavation LLC, a developer of user-friendly, high-quality, deep excavation calculation and design software. He is also the current chair of the American Society of Civil Engineers’ Earth Retaining Structures Committee.
Mr. Konstantakos holds a master of science degree in Civil/Geotechnical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and a BS degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Massachusetts Lowell. He has been involved in the design of bridge foundations, tunnels, deep excavations, finite element simulations, piers and bulkheads, pile foundations, and field inspections. Mr. Konstantakos’ experience includes structural engineering with a leading geotechnical firm in New York, NY. He is a professional engineer in the State of New York and West Virginia, and an EU P.E. in Geotechnical Engineering. Mr. Konstantakos has also taught Support of Excavation Systems as an adjunct professor at New York University.
Workshop Secondary Instructor: Dimitrios Mamoglou, P.E. EU
Dimitrios Mamoglou, P.E. EU is a professional Structural/Geotechnical Engineer, cooperating with Deep Excavation LLC since 2010. Mr Mamoglou has been involved with the company's software products development, production of technical documents and manuals, as well as with the technical support and training of users in the effective use of geotechnical engineering programs.
Mr. Mamoglou holds a Diploma of Engineeging Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. He is a Certified Professional Engineer in EU, and he has been involved in the design of pile foundations, helical pile projects and deep excavations.