Figure: Deadman sheet pile wall designed with DeepEX
Sheet pile walls can be designed easily with DeepEX shoring design software. Sheet pile walls are constructed by driving prefabricated sections into the ground. Soil conditions may allow for the sections to be vibrated into ground instead of it being hammer driven. The full wall is formed by connecting the joints of adjacent sheet pile sections in sequential installation. Sheet pile walls provide structural resistance by utilizing the full section. Steel sheet piles are most commonly used in deep excavations, although reinforced concrete sheet piles have also been used successfully.
Figure: Typical Sheet Pile Section.
Steel sheet piling is the most common because of several advantages over other materials:
1. Provides high resistance to driving stresses.
2. Light weight
3. Can be reused on several projects.
4. Long service life above or below water with modest protection.
5. Easy to adapt the pile length by either welding or bolting
6. Joints are less apt to deform during driving.
Sheet pile wall disadvantages are:
1. Sections can rarely be used as part of the permanent structure.
2. Installation of sheet piles is difficult in soils with boulders or cobbles. In such cases, the desired wall depths may not be reached.
3. Excavation shapes are dictated by the sheet pile section and interlocking elements.
4. Sheet pile driving may cause neighborhood distrurbace
5. Settlements in adjacent properties may take place due to installation vibrations
Sheet pile walls are constructed by:
1. Laying out a sequence of sheet pile sections, and ensuring that sheet piles will interlock.
2. Driving (or vibrating) the individual sheet piles to the desired depth.
3. Driving the second sheet pile with the interlocks between the first sheet pile and second "locked"
4. Repeating steps 2 & 3 until the wall perimeter is completed
5. Use connector elements when more complex shapes are used.
All software features and capabilities! Review all available design methods and analysis standards!
We continue our research and we introduce new unique features that extend the software capabilities!
Get professional training on DeepEX through videos, examples, webinars and online software presentations!
Dead-man Sheet Pile Wall - Analysis and Optimization
Deadman Sheet Pile Wall Example
DeepEX is the ultimate software program for design and analysis of Deep Excavations! Design any wall type and support system in the most efficient way!
Download now a FREE 30 days trial version and check all software capabilities! Create any deep excavation model in minutes!
Get a Free online presentation! Learn about all software features and capabilities!
Get the most powerful shoring design software! Customize your version!
Review our software programs for geotechnical engineers and contractors!